Games to go


 With another lengthy trip back to the UK in the offing my thoughts have been running to bringing a box of wargames with me.  Ease of portability is the key as luggage allowances are limited for the flights and I don't want to carry much with me on the train trips around the country that I will be making.  The test kit for Aegaeon, the ancient naval game, is one thing I will have to bring as it will be offered for trial at the Society of Ancients Conference at the end of October.  This is quite compact - the squadron markers and most of the status cards fit into the orange rimmed box inside the larger box pictured above. But, an experimental naval game is not a guaranteed crowd pleaser.  What to go with it?

Inspiration came from playing Strength and Honour a couple of weeks ago. This is a well tested and enjoyable game that lends itself to easy transportation.  Alongside the rules there is a useful booklet of top down graphics of units to use with the game if 3D models are unavailable.  Even better, the pdf is on sale at the moment!  Over the last few days I have printed out a full set, doubling or tripling up on some sheets to make sure I have enough units for all the scenarios given in the rule book.  These fit neatly into a card index box that I have put together.  This is in the top right of the picture.  The remainder of the box is filling up with playing aids and dice.  I won't fill every corner as there will be purchases to find room for on return to Hong Kong 😁

Comments

Post a Comment