Thalassa! Thalassa!


For several years my ancient fleets have been sitting quietly in their tins, hoping something might happen to renew my interest in them.  Finally I have stirred myself to make up a gridded board to move them on and have been drafting some rules to test out.

The board is in four panels for ease of transport for club games.  I found the patterned blue paper in a local stationers and after drawing the grid have mounted it on foam panels and given it a trim around the outside.  If it needs to be enlarged, more panels can be added, but it looks big enough for the fleets I can field at the moment.

The panels laid out to give a 34 by 24 square grid on which the octagonal ship bases can be moved with ease.

All the bases I have ready at the moment hold multiple ship models, except for the few deceres which are too large for more than one model to fit onto a 45mm width base.  I don't have enough for all the ships.  The picture above shows the majority of the fighting ships available, as well as the wreckage markers. There are enough small vessels - Pentekonters and Dieres - to make up another dozen bases if I had them, as well as 10 or 12 Roman Quinquiremes and about 20 assorted transport ships.  All of the ships are from Tumbling Dice's 1:2400 naval range.

Main battle line for one fleet, heavier ships to the fore, mainly trieres behind.

A flanking squadron of lighter ships, with wreckage markers in front.  Wreckage can become an obstacle to navigation as an engagement wears on.

The individual models are not glued to the bases but attached with magnetic material.  For smaller scale actions where one model can represent one ship I intend to make some individual bases to which models can be transferred.  The individual bases will still be octagons 45mm in width as I will keep the same movement system as for larger battles.

What I hope to do with the rules is to distil the individual qualities of each ship - how good the helmsman, crew and hull are, what is its size, how many marines are carried, does it have any special weapons or structure? - into a few factors that make it easier to manage a large scale battle whether fought solo or with friends.  I think I will end up with two action factors - agility, being a measure of how likely a base of ships is going to succeed in attacks or evasions, and exertion, a quota of points to use to make attacks, evasions or fast moves.  There will then be a tally of ship damage and marine losses.  That's the general idea, but it remains work in progress.  A trial game or two to see how the initial draft works in practice is the next step.

Waiting for rules to be readied and an opponent to step forward

 

Comments