Ruritanian Cuirassiers



The 1st Royal Ruritanian Cuirassier Brigade

Three years ago an unanticipated benefit of being locked down in England during Covid was being able to do a lot of painting and improved basing for the armies of my fictional Triple Monarchy of Ruritania, Karatania and Karelia.  The two smaller contingents from Karatania and Karelia were completed but Ruritania remained short of several infantry divisions and quite a bit of cavalry.  I did make a start on some Cuirassiers but then lock down was lifted, I could return to Hong Kong and the painting of my ancient armies, leaving the Ruritanians to gather dust again.

Returning to England a few weeks ago I dug out the unfinished Cuirassiers and as time has allowed have been working to get them finished before I leave next week.  The figures are Newline Design's 20mm French Carabiniers.  

1st Regiment and Brigade Commander completed

My aim is to have two brigades of two Regiments but for now I have been working on the first brigade.  The uniform for the Royal Ruritanian Army requires Regiments to alternate between  White and Black as the main colour.  Regiments in the same Brigade share a common trim colour.  For the first Cuirassier Brigade this is Azure Blue.  When I get around to it the second Brigade will have Red-Violet facings. 

1st Squadron base, 1st (White) Regiment

Each Regiment has four squadrons, indicated by two figures on a 50mm by 50mm base.  These can be placed on trays for ease of movement.

1st Squadron base, 2nd (Black) Regiment

The horses for the first brigade are all standing and the figures match the horses in being at rest.  The second brigade will have horses at the gallop and figures in more active state.  I realise that I should have given the trumpeter for the 2nd Regiment a black horse to contrast with his white coat and the white horses of the others in the Regiment but am loath to try to repaint it after it has been based.

The Cuirassiers flanked by Dragoon Brigades - also Newline figures - and followed by two Brigades of Cheveaux-Legers (HäT figures)



Comments

Post a Comment