Battlescale Buildings

 

Having finished the batch of 6mm scale buildings bought from Battlescale to go with my 10mm English Civil War / Thirty Years War troops, I set them out on a mat for a few pictures and to put a few unpainted 10mm figures against them to see how well they went together.

 

Altogether there are four bridges, a 14 piece earthworks set, 13 free standing buildings, a ruin, two windmills and a couple of farm groups.  The earthworks set makes a good flexible combination but I am kicking myself for dunking all of the pieces in a tin of Army Painter Soft Tone wash rather than testing a small piece first.  Even after efforts to brush off the surplus gunge it has blurred the contrasts and left me with a much more monotone effect than I was looking for.  I won't do that again - and didn't for the buildings, using only some brushed on washes to control the effects more carefully.

Looking from the earthworks to a small town and a farming village on the far side of the river
 
A couple of Pendraken 10mm figures standing outside a thatched barn

I don't have any painted 10mm figures with me to put with the buildings - that will have to wait until I get them back to Hong Kong - so I just used two figures straight from the bag, one on foot, the other mounted.  Both look fine against the 6mm buildings.  As I am using a representational scale of 1 figure = 25 men, the 6mm buildings are probably still too big if one is being a scale purist.  I did put the figures against a few 2mm buildings from my son's collection of Brigade Models buildings but think that would stretch the aesthetic acceptability a bit far.

Here be giants!  10mm scale figures v. 2mm scale buildings

I have some 10mm buildings and put the 10mm figures against these as well.

Matching up.  10mm figures and buildings

Visually this is fine but a village or town with buildings on this scale will take up more space on the table-top than fits with the unit sizes I am using for Thirty Years War armies.  

I bought the 10mm buildings some years ago to go with my 20mm late 18th - early 19th Century era armies, and they look fine together...

The Ruritanian 6th Regiment (20mm Newline Bavarians) advances through the 10mm town

I hope to get in a game or two with these figures while I am temporarily reunited with them in the UK over the next month.


 

 

Comments

  1. Nice collection of terrain. I have many of Battlescales earthworks in 10mm for use in my 10mm and 15mm battles. The earthworks are terrific. I have a few 6mm buildings but have not painted any yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment